Continuum of Care (COC) agencies are regional or local organizations that coordinate housing and services for persons experiencing homelessness. CoC agencies provide help with finding temporary or permanent shelter. 

You may be considered homeless if you are:

  • Living on the street
  • Living in a shelter
  • Living in a place not meant to be lived in (abandoned building, car, etc.)
  • Fleeing domestic violence
  • Living in a place but are about to be evicted or forced to leave

Veterans experiencing homelessness may want to visit the Department of Housing & Urban Development’s list of organizations and resource agencies for Homeless Veterans: https://www.hud.gov/states/tennessee/homeless/veterans

United Way 2-1-1 maintains a searchable list of organizations that provide shelter and services to homeless families or individuals and those impacted by domestic violence. 

The Tennessee Department of Corrections (TDOC) maintains a list of housing approved for residency by those under TDOC supervision (Transitional Housing for Ex-Offenders). 


Public Housing Agencies in Tennessee

Public housing agencies (PHAs) in Tennessee own and manage local apartment complexes where the rent is reduced or subsidized based on individual or family income (low rent apartments). PHAs may also manage the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program where the PHA pays a portion of the rent, based on income, for eligible households who reside in a privately owned rental unit in the community. The Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) funds PHA low rent apartment and HCV programs.

Please note that most public housing agencies maintain a waiting list for low rent apartments and vouchers. Waiting lists are sometimes closed for new applications when more individuals or families are waiting than may be served in a 12 month time period. Additionally, public housing apartment complexes typically have site based applications meaning that you may need to contact each apartment site individually to apply.

For a list of public housing agencies & programs administered*, visit: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contacts/tn *Note: The HUD list shows “low rent” for PHAs that offer only low rent apartments and not vouchers. The list shows “both” for PHAs that offer both low rent apartments and Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers.

If you have a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, please use TNHousingSearch.org search tool to find your new rental property. When searching for units, you may select that you have a voucher in the advanced search, and the search will return units where the landlord accepts vouchers.

HUD Section 8 Subsidized Apartments

HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to eligible low-income tenants. To apply, contact or visit the management office of each apartment building that interests you. To search for an apartment in your city, visit: https://apps.hud.gov/apps/section8/step2.cfm?state=TN%2CTennessee

HUD Section 8 apartments may also be found by using the TNHousingSearch.org search tool.

USDA/Rural Development Multifamily Housing Rentals

The USDA subsidizes multi-family apartment complexes in rural areas throughout Tennessee to allow the complexes to charge a reduced rent to eligible families based upon income. Properties are classified as Elderly or Family and provide unit sizes from studio to 4 bedroom. To search for an apartment, visit: https://rdmfhrentals.sc.egov.usda.gov/RDMFHRentals/select_state.jsp

USDA Rural Development Multifamily Apartments may also be found by using the TNHousingSearch.org search tool.

Housing for Persons with Aids (HOPWA)

HOPWA provides rental assistance and supportive services to income-eligible individuals living with HIV/AIDS and their families.